Studio news for May 2019 is that I finally feel like I’m starting to see some progress on our next book! The story has been written for ages – but because creating the illustrations are the most time-consuming part, it never really feels like I’m getting anywhere until I make a start with the pictures.
The most exciting news for May 2019 is of course that I’ve made a meerkat character! The meerkat has been made from fabric that I had printed with my illustrations last month.
I will be photographing this fully articulated fabric meerkat doll for parts of the illustrations for the second book that Lenka and I are currently working on. I’m also very excited to make a new, darker version of Daisy the flower fairy for this book. I look forward to sharing more images from this project with you soon!
I’ve named the meerkat “Merlin”, and he shares the name with my very energetic and mischievous dog! I thought it fitting as they share many of the same boisterous characteristics!
In May 2019 I…
- Sent a book to our first giveaway winner
- Planned the double page spreads for my next book & made rough layout sketches
- Created a new anxiety activity for our resource library
- Received the printed fabric from my printers and made a meerkat character
- Completed the first photoshoot of the meerkat character in my aunt’s garden
- Organised three library visits for the June school holidays with Lenka’s help
- Started editing the photos for our next book illustrations
Do you like Merlin the meerkat? Let me know in the comments below!
Sign up to our newsletter if you’d like to receive updates about Merlin’s future adventures (as well as receive access to our resource library)!